CIRCLING THE ATLANTIC — Volkswagen Brasilia

17 Июн 2015 | Author: | Комментарии к записи CIRCLING THE ATLANTIC — Volkswagen Brasilia отключены
Volkswagen Brasilia


(November 1959)

We had arranged to meet Bratt ( see left ) at the Denver as it was more convenient for him to fly from to Denver than to Los Angeles. But we an hour or more late in the airport and I had never been before. After some here and there we “happened” to the main entrance to the terminal and out John Bratt, bags in We proceeded to Signal Mountain where we left Mrs. with her cousin for the time of our and then on to Washington to meet Mother and Dad. We left our car and flew to New York, only to that our KLM plane had been in Amsterdam due to bad weather. The airline put us up for the and we had the next day to kill before that evening on the overnight to Glasgow. From there we the train to Edinburgh, and enjoyed a day of Our grand plan called for and Dad to go to York, where her mother had from, so Mother could up her mother’s ancestry in the cathedral John, Mary Charlotte, and Mary Francis were to go to to see Northern Ireland and to meet friend Frank Maguire’s who was an official of the Church of Ireland.

I was to go to to get the VW Kombi, and then pick up Petersen ( see right ) in Holland, and Dad in York, and the rest of the party in on the West Coast of England. was a war orphan we had supported over the and whom we had visited in our 1955 to Europe. She was just between and Mary Francis in age. We had by correspondence to have her accompany us England and France before to her home in Holland.

The Best Plans.

So much for the plan. a day late already put pressure on us. I had a on a flight from London to in the late morning, so decided I have to take the overnight to London. That arrived hours late, but I could have made my flight if the cab to the had not gotten stuck in horrendous As it was I had to take a mid-afternoon flight landed me at the Dusseldorf airport 5pm their time. Then I I had failed to bring the car papers me, and only remembered the name of the car I was to get the VW from. An accommodating taxi with a limited command of managed to find the correct one of the places of business this had in Dusseldorf, depositing me there 7pm. Not having the papers, the people said they give me the car, but would their manager. About 8pm the arrived with his wife, all up for an evening out, but he took to authorize my getting the car. interminable instructions from the I finally drove away 9pm to head for Holland. To this day I know why I did that. I had made on the overnight ferry from The to England, but that left at and I could not get there by that Also, even though I had Petronella at her home out in the country years earlier, I had not the foggiest of where it was except that it was three miles from the of Putten (30 miles south of Nevertheless, I followed the new map book the various roads until I into Putten just midnight. The town was well lit but I followed the arrows to “Centrum” that was reached and kept on the other side of the town Approaching a tee, an inner said, “Turn right.” At a the voice said, “Take the road.” Rounding a bend, I saw my human being in Putten, a who had just stepped out of a house on the side of the street. I immediately lowered my window and yelled, you speak English?” She replied, a little.” So I got out, bundled up my and walked over to where she was “Can you tell me where the Petersen lives?” I asked. She her finger in my face and replied been waiting for you all afternoon!” It that she had been engaged as my and was waiting for me at her sister’s house. she had set midnight as the limit for waiting, and had out of her sister’s house to go to her own just a few down when I came at the precise instant needed to her! Only God could a scenario like that! #6).

She got into my car and we headed for the country, woke up three families until we finally Petronella’s home. After hot she climbed aboard, and we headed for the after returning the interpreter to her By now it was 3am, and all hope of my ferry was Nevertheless, I went to The Hague to see if a day would be available, but the next one was at also. So we drove to Ostend, about 8am, and took the to Dover. At Dover, I had a hassle British customs over the Although I had ordered a carnet document issued by the Automobile to guarantee duty for any motorist who to take his car out of the country after allowed to enter duty-free), the firm had gotten me a triptique Although much cheaper, it was only in Western Europe, and NOT in After much delay, the AA man at the finally got me a carnet, and we drove off for Having been on the train one and driven all the next night, I was beat, and finally had to give up to get to York that night.

to take care of Petronella, who speak a word of English, was a problem. She wouldn’t eat anything she accustomed to, which included everything available along the She knew me only by reputation, she must have remembered my in 1955. I doubt if she had ever away from home and everything was strange to her. We had a “Learn Dutch” course on and a wind-up phonograph to play as the family drove from to Washington, but we really didn’t very many words of As soon as we caught up with and Mary Francis, Petronella much more at ease, and sure she enjoyed the rest of the

Mother and Dad were anxiously us at their hotel in York. Dad leave the hotel for fear I call, so Mother never did get to the After trying unsuccessfully to I went to bed exhausted. We reached the next afternoon, when we have been in Carlisle, and as soon as we could get Dad and Mother out. Due to fog and traffic, it was 10pm we finally reached the train in Carlisle, where John, Charlotte and the kids had been for us for over six hours, with no

England, France, Holland, France, Italy

Our timetable for us to spend several days in as Mother, Dad and the kids had never there. John, however, had a pastor friend who had come to the US on an program, and he wanted to spend the with him. While the were sightseeing, I was busy for and buying several essential for our trip, such as the Trans Highways book. Somehow was able to call us and say that he had invited to attend the dedication of the Chapel of St. Paul’s Cathedral an that was a ten-year highlight for divines, with the King and in attendance. He would meet us in on Thursday at the Presbyterian Language Leaving London Monday we crossed on the ferry to France, and drove through Belgium to and Putten, to return Petronella to her We also had to visit the Sperry office in Amsterdam to pick up the of instant coffee, powdered powdered soup, etc. I had shipped there for our African I had learned that Phillips (an of ITT, where Margaret and Bob had visited often) had produced a all-wave portable radio, and this would be great to while driving across So we took nearly a day to go to Eindhoven, Phillips main plant to get the radio. Finally, coming Germany and Luxembourg, we headed for on Wednesday. Driving in Europe is not driving in the USA! We could average about 30 miles an and late afternoon hit us as we entered so we decided to stay there I called the Language Center in to leave a message for John, we would go to the Gare Hotel we had stayed in 1955). About an later the telephone operator me to say there were eight hotels in Paris how would know which one? in Paris in the late morning, I to find the Gare St. Lazare Even with a city I had great difficulty with the traffic and the one-way streets. after more than an of milling around, we drove by the and out came John Bratt, in hand! (Miracle #7). He had not yet to the Language Center, but had stayed at hotel the previous night!

seeing “Gay Paree”, we for Southern France, visiting places along the way. To our we found that we had come the two-week period when all hotels close for worker and did not find a place to stay after 9pm. Being and hungry, we took into the only what we would for the night a fatal mistake. The morning we found the car had been and all our best things stolen our Mother’s tweed coat she had in York, some clothing Dad had all my wash and wear clothes, and some of my ties only the of them. The report to the police us several hours, and did no good We never heard further and my insurance policy got me nothing. and Dad did get some compensation, but the articles irreplaceable. However, we went on our way Monaco into Italy and on to Bill and Doris Tucker, friends from our local who were living in Rome, us some of the things to see, the ancient Roman Coliseum. I was by Mary Francis’ reaction to the she was impressed by the hundreds of cats but not at all by the ancient architecture or history of the By this time, Dad had had enough of by car. The Kombi was not a particularly car in which to ride, and there seven of us. Also Dad wanted to late and finish early, made for slow progress. He hated to wait until to get his dinner. So he said he didn’t to go any further. After all he was 80! After discussion, we came up with the that Mother and Dad would longer in Rome and then fly to while we drove through and Yugoslavia. Then they fly from Athens to Damascus we drove through Turkey and

Austria, Yugoslavia, Greece, Syria, Jordan

Leaving we drove up through historic cities and across Austria to There, while the others sightseeing, I purchased many we would need on our trip Africa roof-top carriers, tires, various spare gasoline cans, etc. I never did get to see any of the sights, because we on a rather tight schedule, we wanted to be in Bethlehem Christmas John had been refused a to enter Yugoslavia everywhere he in the US and Europe but was finally granted one in Otherwise he would have had to fly to from Vienna. We left for the after dinner, to drive to Belgrade, reaching there noon the next day. a contrast between drab, Yugoslavia and bright, gay Vienna, in its Christmas decorations! We saw kids along the road at five in the apparently going to school. We had at a hotel in Belgrade, and then and I got our hair cut. We figured the who cut our hair would have to a full week to pay for a dinner as we had just eaten. Then again to Greece, over a so rough as to prompt Mary to say that the Romans must built it, and the Yugoslavs have it ever since without repairing it. We reached the border a after daylight, and I had to use French to the immigration and customs affairs. on to Athens. What a magnificent the Acropolis is! It is incredible to think these majestic buildings had constructed over 2,500 ago! I was particularly impressed the Parthenon, and took many of it all in vain. I made the mistake of them to Austria for development, I had a few Austrian coins to pay the postage to the US, but never arrived. Mother and Dad there waiting for us, and we had a good exploring both the ancient and the Athens. On the drive north to we stopped at the Delphian Oracle, but John went in to see it, as it was nearly The roads were narrow and with big trucks. Once a downpour, a truck forced me off the on the mountain side, and the car scraped the making several big dents in the and right side. We were stuck, with the Kombi at a angle. Within less than it takes to tell it, truck drivers stopped, over to us, righted the Kombi and on their way. We got the damage in Thessalonica, while we rested at a Leaving Thessalonica, I managed to get on the road, and became more and apprehensive as the road deteriorated. the Kombi stopped dead, the gears locked. I could not them. Leaving the rest in the (it had started to rain again), I ahead following a telephone through a village and into a pub with Greek men drinking By pantomime I described my problem. One of the men my work order from the that repaired the car and called using his own money. When the manager came on, I told him I was and asked him to come and get me. Several later he came with a who was able to get the gear case unlocked, so that with the depressed the Kombi could Then they towed me the 15 or so back to Thessalonica at the end of a 10-foot while I held the clutch to the floor. A day later we were on our way this time on the right

When we stopped for dinner, I that I had left my overcoat in my room, so I wrote a note to the manager, enclosed all the Greek I had left, and asked them to it to our New York office. It was there I got home! We crossed the border Turkey about 2am, to wake up the immigration official. He asking me for my Greek money, as he it was illegal to take any into But I had only a few cents worth. I am he simply pocketed whatever was confiscated. After spending a day of in Istanbul, we crossed the Bosphorus on a well managed ferry to the shore, and headed for Ankara, another of our local church was working. We enjoyed a day with and then pushed on through into Damascus. At the Syrian I had quite a hassle with the agent, who demanded a large duty on my four spare The impasse was resolved by writing serial numbers in my passport. then on, I engaged the Arab men who to “get you through customs” for a which was well worth the Again Mother and Dad were for us in Damascus, and we enjoyed seeing the there with them, the “Street called Straight”, and the on the wall where the Apostle was let down in a basket (so the sign Damascus is one of the oldest cities in the and really a tourist must. on to Jerusalem.

The Holy Land and

The ancient part of Jerusalem was in The boundary with Israel was outside the present walls of Jerusalem. We could not enter with our Kombi and dared not it in Jordan while entering on foot. So our visit to Jerusalem was to the ancient part. As we came Amman to Jerusalem, we stopped to see the modern Jericho. As we returned to the highway, we saw that the highway was with soldiers posted 200 yards or so, and all traffic barred. to see what it was all about, a motorcade by containing King Hussein, as as other dignitaries, after the soldiers withdrew and traffic was

My recollections of our visit to the Holy are not very sharp. I do remember with other ‘pilgrims’ in a sing on a back road in and of going to one of the shepherds’ caves for a Eve service. Both were impressive reminders of the birth of so long ago. But the present-day of the Church of the Nativity (Bethlehem) and the of the Crucifixion (Jerusalem) rather me cold. The Gordon tomb authentic, but even that, didn’t seem real. glad I went, but I have no to go again.

We had one major problem in Jerusalem the hotel to which I had months earlier for reservations had after we left that could not accommodate us after 23d. However, they did get us at the new Dead Sea Hotel sponsored by the government, and we had to go to it after the Christmas Eve It was a very nice hotel, and Dad in enjoyed it and said he would to come and stay a week or but he never did. John the occasion to visit the Qumram where the Dead Sea Scrolls found. It was a rugged trip, and the of us declined to make it.

Lynne Wedding

Dad and Mother had decided to fly to the US in order to attend Lynne wedding to Jim Shaw on December 1958 ( see left ), so we had to get them to (Lebanon) in time to make flight. In driving from to Beirut, we could see the devastation by the brief Syrian-Lebanon war just a few earlier damaged buildings, vehicles and other debris. In itself, the streetlights were not and people delighted in violating regulations like one-way From our hotel window we see an Army road-block stopping all and searching them, presumably for

Bob Smith, the man who had led me to my meeting with the Jesus Christ, and his family living in Beirut at the time. He was at a small Christian college, and his Roberta was attending the American of Beirut. Mrs. Smith that we eat our meals with as she said it was not safe to eat restaurant or food. At one of the meals we met Dudley Roberta’s fiancée and also a at AUB. Two years later, we have the privilege of telling mother in Taiwan all about her new and family, whom she had never

It was time for a check-up on the Kombi, so we it in to the VW Agency in Beirut. When we got it, I was that there was a problem in the that had to be taken care of, but we hadn’t given them to do, since we were taking a for Egypt the next day. I care of the problem in Cairo. We got and Dad off on their flight, and prepared for our voyage to Port Said, boarding the ship that

From Top to Bottom of Africa by Car

We at Port Said about after an uneventful trip. I had an Arab about $25 to get us through including the car, and it was the best I could have gotten. We routed into a huge like a barn, and given sheets about a yard on which we were to list article we had and its cost. After hours, the Arab man (who was a Catholic) came to me and said he had to the Port Director, and needed cab Several times he came empty handed for more and I began to wonder if this was kind of shakedown. But the customs made no move to release us, so I him off. Finally, about 7pm he again and said I must go him. The cab brought us to a downtown where a very pleasant man joined us. He was the Port Director, and he had us on our way minutes after we returned to the


The date was Wednesday, 31, 1958. After a hasty at a restaurant, we started on the long to Cairo, part of which along the Suez Canal. You may that at the time of the Six Day War with Egypt closed the Suez trapping several hundred for many months. We saw many of ships, with their blazing, as we drove by. We reached about midnight, and finally the hotel into which we had booked in Beirut. We had to be 500 miles up the at El Shellal (near the site of the Dam) Monday afternoon to a once-a-week river boat to the of the Sudan. My first stop morning was to get the motor fixed. The VW agreed to do it if I would pay the overtime of the two (both Thursday, New Year’s, and were holidays). This out to be $5 each! And VW fixed the motor under warranty. While was being done, we hired a with a car to take us to see the sights the Cheops Pyramid, and a number of places of ancient Egypt. Saturday morning I had to go to the Sudanese to get the car permit to enter the country. Due to the nature of the Sudan (no made only desert tracks), the required a deposit of $300 per in case rescue operations necessary. I was prepared to leave the but was told by the AA office not to do so, as I would get it back! The AA office offered to me a letter of guarantee for the deposit, the consul accepted, after I back and forth several a mile each way. we had all the necessary papers and the car and headed on the highway up the Nile to Luxor.

the distance was only about 300 it took us all night to drive it. We had operating as two teams; John and were one team, and the two Marys and I the other. At night we took driving and sleeping, on three-hour Being Sunday morning, we a Christian church in Luxor, by Rev. Mingarius. He was most to us, and had us come to his home for an afternoon as well as noon and evening It was about 9pm when we got away to go the 100-150 miles to Aswan and El Our Trans-African Highways book the desert track we were to but we had great difficulty finding it. after several times in yards, we found it and headed for What a night that The desert track was in terrible and at places it appeared to have deliberately blocked, once by a dike that we managed to up on and follow around to the other of the irrigation canal. It was well daylight before we met anyone, and I a young man to show me the way. He us to a place where two dikes Along one coming toward us was a herd of sheep. On the other a herd of camels, all roped The shepherds shook their at us and demanded that we get off the dike. the desert I could see what to be some men building a road. great trepidation, I left the and struck out across the open For 500 yards or so all went well, but we hit a patch of soft sand and down. Nothing we could do did any so we sat there. Pretty soon a of men came from the work now much closer, and went again promising to bring a Returning in a half hour or so, tractor and a touring car, proceeded to get us out and tow us to the work area. The man got in beside me, and said in excellent “You are very wrong in here. This is a secret I must take you to the police.” we were going, he told me an Egyptian who had stumbled on the place months earlier, and he was still in The only currency I had was a US$100 which I offered him for his services. He “I don’t take After a half hour or so we a town, and went to the police A police lieutenant interrogated me a half hour, quite asking me over and over if we had any pictures. Apparently he accepted our because the engineer took us in again and we headed for Aswan he brought us to the boat company with about an hour to (Miracle #8).

The boat was interesting. In the late afternoon, we at the original site of the Abu Simbel (later to be excavated and lifted to the top of the Gorge to escape the waters of the high dam). It was amazing to be that an altar a good 100 into the mountain wall was so placed that the sun’s struck it only once a The four statues of the Pharaoh II that flanked the entrance huge and very well

The Sudan

The boat docked in the morning at the terminal of the Sudan at Wadi Haifa, where ends and the Sudan begins. It nearly all day to go through the paper get our car off the barge it had come on and onto a car. We had been warned to the car of everything we could carry on the as we would have to pay for the car by the kilo. The car from VW said the unloaded was 1150 kilos, and that was I had paid for at El Shellal. But when it was on the scales at the railhead, they me the weight was 1550 kilos. increased my costs over and already the car freight was more the second-class tickets for the five of us. at the map, I saw that we could get off at and drive the 175 miles to Khartoum, and thus not increase the freight The train ride was overnight, and hot, as it passed through one of the formidable deserts in the world the Desert. We read on our return of a of two Americans and two Frenchmen that to drive across it and didn’t it. The rescuers found two of the men dead their cars, but never did the other two.

While waiting for our car to be unloaded at we strolled around the town, and took quite a few pictures. an hour later, we were by a military policeman who asked, have picture-machine?” John him his camera, but the policeman had us follow him to the of the provincial governor, where we entertained for several hours the military police went our car for contraband. They didn’t anything, and we were allowed to but it made us quite late in Khartoum. Such is life a military dictatorship.

At Khartoum we had the replaced. I had stripped it in trying to get out of the back in Egypt, and we had quite a getting from Atbara to Everybody had to get out and push whenever we hit a stretch of road. At our hotel we that the road west to the (where we had planned to visit from our local church) had stretches of soft sand, required either a 4-wheel-drive car or large tires, which we have. So we had to change our course and go directly to Uganda via Juba. Our new had to be approved by the military government, all of took time. We finally Khartoum late in the afternoon on turned out to be a four-night-and-three day drive to over desert tracks no signs, navigating by our Trans-African book, compass and the grace of We drove continuously, night and stopping only for gas and meals. On one we came to a big bridge, where a line of cars was waiting. we got to the head of the line, an Army proceeded to vaccinate each of us, no asked!

At Malakal, we were to visit a Presbyterian missionary Anderson, so as we drove into the we asked a white man on a bicycle if he direct us to the Anderson home. He that he was Dr. Anderson! (Miracle At the Anderson home we had a chance to and eat a meal of good old US cooking. As the new baby was in serious need of available only from on farms and not at all in Malakal, we gave our case of powdered milk, should have taken of the baby until it could eat food. Leaving Malakal in the we drove for over four over desert track was so rough we often had to proceed in gear. The resulting gas usage us to get dangerously low. We were for a town called Jabloich, our book said we could get The map showed another “road” to Melut, on the Nile River, and I advising John to be sure to the correct fork at the road Just before dawn, as was driving, I was awakened by the stopping of the ‘What’s wrong?” I asked “The road stopped,” he Will got out with the flashlight (it was dark), and went a few steps in of the car. The flashlight disclosed a which in Arabic and English ‘Melut’. Another step and he have fallen into the River! Now we really were in Less than half a of gas, and 50 miles off our way! A policeman arrived to check us and said, “Melican missionary,” to a path we had not noticed before. went running down the and came back five later saying, “I saw a man shaving himself by lantern.” go back and tell him we are here,” we him. Very soon, Mr. from Australia, a missionary the Sudan Interior Mission, out to us and invited us to his home. When the of gas came up, he said, I have the gas in over 100 miles there is in Jabloich. I operate an emergency field for Missionary Aviation Here we were diverted our planned route by “accident or to come to the only source of gas (Miracle #9). After a breakfast of corn flakes and for which we paid in instant and with a five-gallon can of gasoline, we on our way by a different road directly to the next town where gas was

We finally arrived in Juba and a for a much needed rest. The across the swiftly flowing was scary, as the ferry boat had to upstream at a 45-degree angle to go straight across! Coming out of the ubiquitous military policeman us to take a 10-year-old girl to her 50 miles down the road to on the Uganda border, which we At the home, we asked by pantomine to pictures of the people. They disappeared into their and came out a few minutes later in their finest for the pictures. on to Uganda.

Uganda, Kenya, Zambia and Zimbabwe

By now we had used two weeks of the four available our ship left Cape for Rio de Janeiro, and we were about there. Crossing the borders was in this part of Africa, I because so few cars do it. Our first stop was to be in a little town one hotel, which was full we got there. The town magistrate, an arranged for us to stay at the home of the governor, Mr. Cotton, who regaled us all with tales of the Mau Mau war in Kenya, he was stationed at the time. We were to visit the Murchison Falls, the White Nile thunders an 18-foot-wide gorge to drop hundred feet to the plain About seven miles the falls, the car stopped with a left front wheel. I it up, and discovered that the bearings jammed. John and I were to free it, but it protested with revolution. Here we were, 100 from civilization with a bad bearing! We decided to go to the falls, and glad we did they were Then the 100-mile journey to the next town on our route. It all afternoon, after a delicious at the Park lodge, and had one stop of We saw a small herd of elephants the road at a stream crossing. got out with his camera, and went the elephants to get a picture with his lens. The picture shows elephant charging at close with his trunk in the air. John took a picture of Will and the elephant, showing the to be a safe distance away. both came running, go, the elephants are coming!”

In spite of the bad bearing, we made it Masindi (Miracle #10), and had no in getting accommodation. The dinner at the included peanut soup, the most delicious soup I ate! The next morning, I an Indian merchant who rented his car to me to 150 miles to Kampala for a new bearing. An mechanic had taken out the old bearing, had crumbled over 120 degrees of its The merchant insisted on his 1l-year-old son me, and I was glad for the company. We arrived at the store at 12:35pm, only to it was closed from 12:30 to Nothing for it but to wait the four making it about 8pm before we got to Masindi. Nevertheless, as soon as the was installed, we headed for Kampala and crossing the equator in the wee hours of the too dark to take a picture. At we crossed over the Jinja where the Nile River Lake Victoria, its source. The station there provides for much of the country.

Our next was the Tea Hotel in Kericho, a delightful subsidized by the tea growers and thus inexpensive. Near there a from our local church in a mission school, and we visited her and her in their African-style home. we crossed the Great Rift through Kenya to Nairobi, our main sightseeing was to the Nairobi Park, a must for any visitor to city. Then we drove into Tanganyika (now past Mount Kilamanjaro, top we were lucky to see, as it is cloud-covered. Once when was driving, he left the road to a herd of hundreds of zebras. The night as I was driving, I stopped the car in time to have a herd of thunder across the road in front of me. The drive through to Lusaka was uneventful, except for a when we had to drive until 3pm before coming to a place we get our lunch, and then all the inn could us was tomato sandwiches. From (Zambia) we drove to Livingstone and the Victoria Falls three wide and two Niagaras high! It was a tremendous sight that we not content with the afternoon but returned the next morning for pictures. Then across the bridge over the Zambesi and on a one-track road 150 miles to a coal mining town in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), and a distance to the city of Bulawayo. Bulawayo, it was several hours to Beitbridge, at the border of South which we reached in the early of the morning, crossing at daylight.

Africa in 1959

We didn’t much time in sightseeing, as our date was getting close and we had nearly 2,000 miles to go. We did a detour to visit Kruger Park, and from there to Pretoria and Johannesburg, where we got from the Sperry Rand We were quite impressed the size and nature of Soweto ( SO uth WE st TO a segregated area for blacks who in Johannesburg) and the huge mounds long of waste material the gold mines right in the Then our route took us to Port Elizabeth, and along the to Cape Town. There we to our dismay that we would grave problems in bringing our car Brazil. We had bought our steamship and paid for the car shipment through the AAA in Los but they had told us nothing of the duty Brazil charges on cars! We could not even the car in South Africa, because the there was about equal to the value, since VW had its South assembly plants. So we had to carry out our plans and battle it out when we got to

Crossing the South Atlantic

We Cape Town on the the lnterocean Titjalenka, a three-tier passenger/freight carrying Japanese, Chinese, and passengers and cuisine, each from the others. On the second or day out, all three “classes” in for the Chinese New Year’s celebration and with firecrackers popping and big dragons moving menacingly on the deck. Every night at Will would study the for many minutes trying to which of the three desserts he would take. On the third the waiter said he could all three if he wished. Needless to Will had three desserts for the of the voyage. It was our first family aboard ship, and we thoroughly it, although the 13 days did seem long before we finally at Santos, Brazil, to unload our of raw rubber. What disappointed us the was that the ship deliberately Rio de Janeiro the day after Mardi I suppose the owners were the crew might go berserk if were allowed there for event.


Brazil was not far different from what I it was far different from any society I had seen. For one thing there was no line. People’s skin from Nordic white to African black, and nobody to pay any attention to the shade. For another chicanery was a way of life. Those practiced every form of known to man, as a way of life. By far the corrupt were the police. We horrendous tales of what had done to innocent people. we first arrived, I was warned the cabbies at the dock would us three prices to take us the few to the hotels, so I went into the on foot and got a cab. It nearly a riot when I had him come to the dock to pick up our party and I went to the custom office day for 13 days before they release our car. Even although we had a carnet that was recognized by Brazil we had to get a letter of for $7500 from Sperry before we could get the car (eight later). I’m sure the people unspokenly demanded a which I refused to suggest. We contact with Presbyterian soon after arriving, and much time with in sightseeing by street car, and by Copacabana, Sugar Loaf, the zoo and visitor attractions around the There was no lack of cars, I was told their average age was 12 When we finally did get our car, I was by the missionaries to go immediately to the office it could be registered in Brazil and both John and I could get driving licenses, even we had international permits. We reluctantly did so, a fellow to get the paper work for us (in Portuguese) as we could not do it ourselves. that office, we hadn’t three blocks before pulled over by a motorcycle who was quite unhappy when he find nothing to charge us Having the car once again us to drive to Sao Paulo, now Brazil’s city, but then competing Rio for that distinction. We also to nearby Campinas, where the Presbyterian Church operated an center. They showed us an which had been left to in the will of a woman from The customs people refused to it without the payment of a huge so the missionaries had a private bill by the national legislature to allow it to in duty-free. This still did not the customs people, until the Court ruled that particular organ was the one designated in the Nobody received magazines by The postal people would them and sell them on the When you mailed a letter at the office, you had to insist that it be as you paid for it, or the clerk would your money, and throw letter into the trash. We saw a line of trucks along a just outside of the city, to have their cargoes and pay the duty each state for shipments entering it from Brazilian state. One of the main for building the new capital of Brasilia was to loose the parasites on the Federal We were told that were three persons on the payroll for every desk in I could go on and on, but I think you can get the picture of society. I went to the American to inquire if the other South republics we had planned to drive would give us such a time as Brazil had. would tell us absolutely in spite of a letter I had from Connally (through Marion) that I be helped in any way feasible. So we to give up the trip to Argentina, and the other West Coast and fly back to the US. I had to arrange for my company to the car to the US in order to release them their letter of guarantee. entailed a complicated procedure for a power of attorney for one of the Univac to act for me in shipping the car. The office of looked up each of us in three files. Even so, it took a one full day’s work to the document. My American Express was a life-saver, as I had just about the letter of credit with we had started. The Card was so new in Rio that I had to our hotel bill to the American office and get a check for the hotel, we could check out. I learned of a new airline just started, and they offered to us to Miami, without charging on our voluminous baggage, including “blood-stained” Mau Mau shield and spear. So three weeks in “friendly” we took to the air, stopping at Bogota, Medellin, Panama and finally Miami. John over in Bogota and came in a day In Miami, I called Mother and had her me a draft for $1,000, with I bought a used Pontiac wagon to transport us to Washington and Los Angeles. It was quite a trip!

What Might Have God’s Purposes in This

It is always dangerous to try to read the of God, but I believe that God did some definite purposes for us to take that trip. are these (perhaps among others): (1) We needed to experience His under situations where we had no way of care of ourselves. This is out particularly in the incident of the “secret at Aswan and the “accidental” deviation in to lead us to Melut and the only gas a hundred miles. (2) We needed to see in their working environment as we did in and Malakal. (3) Our family needed to a “together” experience where we all in the adventure. (4) We had the opportunity of exposing and Dad to Europe and the Middle East conditions favorable to them, and to Petronella a chance to see something of the around her. (5) It gave and Mary Francis an experience would last them a (6) It was the first of many such the Lord had in mind for me, and the experiences it were invaluable in planning for and out the later trips. (7) The many that God performed to make trip possible were proof of His willingness to provide for all of the work He calls one to do. I cannot to relate all the many ways God this willingness in later but I will point out the more ones. This trip the first time in my life I was consciously aware that God was in control of all events and I had no reason to for myself or for my loved ones, no how bleak a situation might

Interesting Articles

Other articles of the category "Brasilia":

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

Born in the USSR

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Volkswagen all cars catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about cars Volkswagen.